So I decided to make a Thorpe out of the same yarn as the clapotis that functions as my huge winter scarf.
Of course there was an annoying knot in the skein, so the dark green/brown/bright blue transition repeats itself around the garter portion, but I don't mind too much.
The silk garden is close to worsted, so I used size 8 needles and got a gauge of 4st/inch. I have a large head to I increased until I had 88 stitches total. I then followed the instructions for the large size, while adjusting all the other numbers (stitches bound off, width of earflaps, number of garter ridges before decreasing) by about 10%.
I am by no means a crocheter, but I found this video very helpful, even though my cat recently broke my computer speakers and I couldn't hear the sound.
It stretched a bit too much when I blocked it, so I ran it through the washer and dryer and now it's back to 4 st/inch and a perfect size. Don't be afraid to wash silk garden! It has too much silk content to felt much, and it's SO SOFT after.
From the back:
Detail of my newfound crochet skills:
I really don't look this annoying in person: