Secret pal questionnaire
vive les questions!
Your knitting/crocheting habits & desires
1. Do you knit, crochet, or do both?
I knit, and I'm going to learn to crochet soon. I have a class in 2 weeks.
2. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for 2 years. I consider myself intermediate.
3. What are your favorite yarns or fibers to knit with? What yarns/fibers do you avoid, dislike or hate? Are you allergic to any fibers?
I love alpaca. I have turned into a yarn snob who doesn't use much %100 acrylic anymore. Fun furs aren't my thing these days.
4. What do you use to store your needles/hooks? How about your other tools, like stitch holders and point protectors? Where do you store your yarn?
It's rather random. A lot are in their original plastic bags. I have a lot of 8 inch bamboo DPNs in sizes 0 to 10 (5 of each) and I would love a pattern for sewing one of those roll-up cases for them. I might figure my own out after all the insane Christmas knitting is done.
5. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Do you have a needle preference—bamboo, aluminum, plastic, etc.? Any needles you’d like to try?
I like bamboo DPNs, and have a Boye set that I do most of my non-DPN work on. I don't use straights much at all anymore.
6. Do you own a ball winder and/or swift? Would you prefer to receive center-pull balls of yarn, if the person that has you owns a winder/swift and is so inclined?
I have a ball winder and a swift (I spoiled myself last year), and I like to do that part myself before I start a project.
7. Are you a sock knitter? Do you want to learn?
I have made most of one sock. It was a training sock. I plan to make more in the new year.
8. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like anything where I'm learning a new skill. Currently making a pair of thrummed mittens. I like little projects lately, like knucks, pantas, etc.
9. What are you knitting right now? Any current obsessions like socks, lace, felting, etc.?
I'm working on thrummed mittens. I think I may have gone overboard on the thrumming. They may end up looking like boxing gloves, but they should be quite toasty! I think my next phase will be little felted things like this: http://www.spunmag.com/article/060421cleo
Or illusion knitting! I'm very excited about making this pattern someday: http://slippedstitch.blogspot.com/2005_09_01_slippedstitch_archive.html
10. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? What have you always wanted to try knitting/crocheting?
I have a lot of books. I would still like to get One Skein and Folk Hats.
11. How old is your oldest UFO (UnFinished Object)?
About a year old. It's about 6 inches of knitty's very tall sock(s) http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTverytallsocks.html
I think it may be destined for the frogpond.
12. Do you have any knitting magazine subscriptions? Any that you love or buy regularly?
No subscriptions. I only buy them if I think there's a good possibility of making one of the patterns in them. I wouldn't mind getting old magazines, though!
13. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
You betcha. Nobody crafts for me except me these days.
14. Would you like to receive hand knitted socks? If so, what are your foot measurements? (Don’t give just your shoe size—measure around the ball of your foot and also the length from heel to toe.) Of course, giving this information is no guarantee that you will actually receive knitted socks. It’s just in case.
That would be sweet. 8.25 inches around the ball, 10 inches long. Narrow heels if that makes a difference.
1. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Include a link.
2. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.) Any you can’t stand?
I don't do well with most scented soaps or candles. I can tolerate Body Shop products well, though. I love their white musk, oceanus, satsuma, vanilla spice, etc.
3. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy or snacks? Anything you would hate to get?
I tend to crave fat & salt more than chocolate, but will eat almost any junk food with gusto. I don't like arugula lettuce (bitter), but I can't imagine that travelling well in the mail anyway.
4. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (in case your buddy wants to make you a CD).
I like the Trews, Barenaked Ladies, Jackalope. I like being exposed to new things, so feel free to send me anything!
5. What is your favorite holiday?
I love Christmas for all the fun stuff we do around it. Easter has more personal/spiritual meaning to me, though.
6. Do you have a favorite animated character, animal, etc.?
I will someday be a certified crazy cat lady.
7. Are you into any fandoms? (Harry Potter, Buffy, etc.)
I enjoy Veronica Mars (is that a fandom?), CSI, Firefly.
8. How do you decorate your room/house? Is there anything that you collect?
My husband is still a student, so our decor is um, well, rather random. I don't like really cute, sappy things, though. I mostly hang photographs that I've taken or purchased. I love black & white photos.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? Is there a specific color family/palette that you enjoy knitting with or wearing?
I find myself buying a lot of brown, kakhi, olive green clothes these days. There aren't any colours that I don't like, although I'm rarely drawn to grey these days.
10. Would you like and use icons, layouts, banners or wallpapers? Anything specific?
I'm hoping to become more html savvy in the coming months, and actually work on my blog a bit. I don't even know how to steal a button yet.
Other information about you
1. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? Dye yarn? Are you looking to try any of these, and which ones?
Must stay away from these. I already spend way too much on yarn and knitting books.
2. What is your family/living situation? Do you have any pets?
I have been married for 8 years to a wonderful nerd. We have a crabby old tortie cat.
3. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens/gloves, slippers or ponchos?
I don't wear ponchos. I would LOVE slippers.
4. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
5. Anything else you’d like to add?
I'm not easily offended, so if you want to send me something kind of sarcastic or cheeky, that's okay. As an example of my kind of humor, see http://despair.com/viewall.html
My favorite demotivational posters are underachievement, ambition, teamwork, and motivation.